Shine news

Benefits Update - December 2019

13th December 2019

Universal Credit

Need some help with Universal Credit and making an application?Shine’s website has links to some Youtube videos produced by the Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) relating to Universal Credit and the process of making a claim. You will find them in the “Benefits” section of the website here.

If you are making a new claim for Universal Credit, i.e. not “migrating” from Employment & Support Allowance, and need some help, please contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau. They have a service that is specifically to help new Universal Credit claimants.


Work Capability Assessments for Employment & Support Allowance (ESA) and Universal Credit (UC)

As part of a claim or reassessment for, either, ESA or UC you may be asked to attend a medical assessment. You should be aware that anyone with Spina Bifida, except Occulta, and/or Hydrocephalus must be assessed by, either, a Doctor or Physiotherapist only. Assessments should no be carried out by another person e.g. Paramedic, Occupational Therapist etc. If you think you have been assessed by someone other than a Doctor or Physiotherapist, please let us know by calling 01733 555988.

Unfortunately, this rule does not apply to people claiming Personal Independence Payments.


Personal Independence Payment

Click here for a video containing more information about Personal Independence Payment.

You can also get more help about how to complete the claim from our website. We have two “How to” sections, one for Spina Bifida and one for Hydrocephalus, which guide you through filling the form in - access these here.

Related Stories

Donate Become a member